Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » PCOS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PCOS
yankees
Activist
Member # 30379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my gyno told me when i was 14 that i had polycystic ovrain syndrome b./c my ovasries were larger tahn normal on the sonograms and that is why my priods were so irregular so i wnet on the pill to regulate it and after tryting different brands it got more regular but my question is doesnt havign PCOS mean ur less likely to have children and be more infertile? b/c of the no ovulation or would being on the pill now i have taken yasmin aggain fro teh whole month of july and in the middle of august change that? i thoguht if u ahev polycystic ovaries u have trouble getting pregnant later on in life
Posts: 136 | From: nj | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, having PCOS can affect your fertility in bad way. Moreover, having PCOS means birth control pills might be ineffective for you. However, there have been ST users with PCOS who had kids -- some accidentally. look up posts by "negative*nancy" I think she was one of them.

Anyway, for your family planning needs, use condoms as backup for sure (did you mention the PCOS to the clinician when you went to get BCPs? Then when you are trying to conceive, see the gynecologist first so you can hatch a plan to help you bear children. You might need hormone therapy or you might need to do in vitro.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees
Activist
Member # 30379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont want a family im onlt 17 im asking if the PCOS makes it less likely for me to get pregnant. I have been on BCP from my doctor since i was in the 9th grade (im going to be a senior now) b/c of my terrible periods that were super heavy and irregular, the birth contorl pills regulated my cycle and made it lighter, but recently in jan i had a period then stopped my pills b/c i thought i was losing hair and after my sonogram to check my ovaries my GYNO told me there were a bunch fo eggs there but that i needed 10 days of progesterone to induce a period which i did in june and then i got it in july and then august1st and im waiting for the next period now. but with Polycystic ovaries syndrome i heard she said later in life id have problems having children maybe or chances of cancer.. NOW i mean that wouldnt have mean i ahve less pregnancy risk with the factor in mind and with my pills?
Posts: 136 | From: nj | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees
Activist
Member # 30379

when you say BCP may be ineffective for me- DO MEAN BY fighting against pregnancy ineffective?? or jsut ineffective as in helping my periods??
i dont want a family im only 17 im asking if the PCOS makes it less likely for me to get pregnant. I have been on BCP from my doctor since i was in the 9th grade (im going to be a senior now) b/c of my terrible periods that were super heavy and irregular, the birth contorl pills regulated my cycle and made it lighter, but recently in january i had a period then stopped my pills b/c i thought i was losing hair and after my sonogram to check my ovaries cause i hadnt had a period in 6 months from stoppig the pills ...my GYNO told me there were a bunch fo eggs there but that i needed 10 days of progesterone to induce a period which i did in june and then i got it in july and then august1st and im waiting for the next period now. but with Polycystic ovaries syndrome i heard she said later in life id have problems having children maybe or chances of cancer.. NOW i mean that wouldnt have mean i ahve less pregnancy risk with the factor in mind and with my pills?

yankees
Activist
Member # 30379

hey thanks for helping me before and i know you all are very busy but i was wondering if you get a chacne would it be possible to have someone answer my previous questions above i ddint mean to send it 3 times i just saw it said it couldn't send so i kept clicking the ADD button
thanks very much for ur help

VioletSky
Neophyte
Member # 30421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VioletSky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PCOS can be a problem when it comes to getting pregnant, but it doesn't mean it's impossible! I have symptoms of PCOS but no official diagnosis. My gyn told me about the drug Metformin, used to treat some of the symptoms. She said doctors have seen many, many patients who could not get pregnant, who weren't even bothering to use birth control, get pregnant on their very first cycle on Met. So it might be more difficult, but not impossible.

Are you planning on staying on the pill? I just went off it last year and my gyn told me it probably kept the symptoms under control for all these years. I've never heard of PCOS being a cancer risk factor. The pill was effective for me, and I haven't heard of OC's being ineffective for PCOS women. Ask your gyn, but I bet the pill will work for you, if you take it right, of course. Women with really bad PCOS can and do ovulate spontaneously sometimes, so you want to be protected against pregnancy.

Try www.soulcysters.com. They have great message boards, with lots of teens there.
Good luck,
Violet

[ 08-26-2006, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: VioletSky ]

Posts: 2 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VioletSky
Neophyte
Member # 30421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VioletSky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG!! I saw this post on the home page and clicked on it from there, I didn't realize this was for "staff and volunteer" replies only! Feel free to delete my post!
Posts: 2 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees
Activist
Member # 30379

hey thanks but yes im oplanning on staying on yasmin i was just curious

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.