Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Gonorrhea????????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gonorrhea????????
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bf started having pain when he urinated on Wed. He said he was also peeing blood and that there was hesitation when he urinated. No discharge or anything like that. He went to the Emergency room and the doc said he had white blood cells in his urine. He said that if he were a female it would mean that it was a UTI but since it is like a million to one chance that a male would get it..he told my bf he had gonorrhea and gave him amoxicillian??.

My bf called me asking me who I had been with and blah blah blah.

I just don't understand how this is so. My bf..well he is my ex now we broke up before he went to the doc for other reasons, but he got tested in May..I got tested at the end of April for chlymida and gonorrhea and I was negative. He was negative on everything. He hasn't cheated. I haven't cheated.

I'm going Monday to get tested but this just doesn't add up. They can't test you for gonorrhea in one day can they?? so how can they tell him for sure that it is gonorrhea?? I told him that it sounds like a bladder infection and since nobody has cheated how in the hell could it be gonorrhea. How could it just pop up out of nowhere??????

When I went for my UTI they gave me an antibiotic that would get rid of the UTI and gonorrhea just in case I had it but the tests came back saying I didn't have gonorrhea.

I'm so confused. All his symptoms sound like a bladder infection. But gonorrhea?????

Oh and they gave him 14 pills to take by the way. I've been reading on the net that they usually give one dose of medication to treat gonorrhea. He has to take 14 pills.

He said the man asked him if he had unprotected sex and he said yes with my ex (referring to me) and he claimed the man said "oh well I know what it is..its gonorrhea"

[ 08-18-2006, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: nina_brown04 ]

Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It often takes longer than a day, yes, but you can sometimes get those results same day, especially in a hospital where they have a lab right there. You certainly could ask for a xerox of those test results if you liked.

It's also possible he didn't get a full screening last time, or wasn't honest about having been screened before. It's also possible he WAS with someone else and is trying to pass the buck off on you.

Amoxicillin, however, is not the usual treatment for it, though if he was found to have more than one STI, he could have been given that to try and tackle both. But yes: typically, a one-dose treatment of a different type of antibiotic is given.

Bladder infections are pretty uncommon in men, however. So, be aware that it'd be pretty unusual for him to have one.

Given this isn't someone you are with anymore, honestly, I wouldn't continue to have this conversation with him.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess I'll know the truth when I get tested on Monday
Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you just say you just had tests done, and thus were given the treatment?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Yeah back in April. I asked them to check for gonorrhea and chlymadia (excuse the spelling). It was negative but I had a bladder infection and they treated me for it. He got a full screening in May. He was negative for everything.

So if it really is gonorrhea then that means that he cheated and gave it to me so thats why I'm getting tested again.

nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Also,

How are men tested for gonorrhea? I think they only took a sample of his urine. When he got screened in May they stuck something down his urethra to check for something. He didn't mention that.

It sounds like the guy just guessed that he had it since bladder infections are so uncommon in men.

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a urine test now for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea which means a swab of the uretha is no longer necessary for men to test for those STIs. It could be that they've just changed their procedure in the last few months (my ex, for example, when he went into his regular doctor got a swab, where as when we went into the public health clinic got a urine test).

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.