Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Feeling Bad After First Month of Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling Bad After First Month of Sex
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 5 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 and a half years and just recently, August 1st I believe, made love for the first time. We used condoms and due to our awkwardness, he didn't orgasm. Also, I've been on Levlen 28 for about 3 months now so we have a backup method of birth control. We bought condoms with spermicide and have been using them for the past 3 weeks everytime we have sex.

Ever since our first time, I've been having some burning while urinating. Lately, in the past few days, I've begun itching and the burning has continued and now I'm having lower back aches and front aches. I've had yeast infections before and one case of vaginitis last summer and I was given Diflucan and it went away. I took a Flucanzole today about an hour ago and it's helping some.

I was wondering, after researching online, if it's true what they say about the spermicide Nonoxynol-9 causing UTIs, vaginitis, yeast infections, and just all around irritation? I talked to my boyfriend about it and we've agreed to try another type of condom. Do spermicidal coated condoms offer a greater protection against pregnancy than just a normal lubricated condom or is it about the same?

I would rather try a non-spermicidal condom if that's what's causing my irritation but not at the expense of us getting pregnant. Anyone know any information?

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, both my boyfriend and myself were virgins at the time and are free of any STI's.
Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the symptoms you've described, it sounds like you've got yourself a UTI, possibly in conjunction with a a yeast infection or some general irritation. You'll want to get into the doctor, get properly diagnosed and get treatment for both those issues - leaving a UTI alone is not wise, as it can spread to your bladder and kidneys. In the future, to help prevent UTIs, pee before and after sex to help flush out any bacteria that may have gotten pushed into your urethra.

Per the spermicidal condoms: the amount of spermicide on a condom is not anywhere near enough to prevent pregnancy should a condom failure occur. Properly used, non-spermicidal condoms are highly effective, and using condoms in addition to birth control is even more effective - you don't need the spermicide. In addition, you're spot-on about spermicide being an irritant; it's essentially dish soap, and a very harsh substance to be putting anywhere near your genitals.

From now on, get regular, non-spermicidal condoms, and use them with plenty of water-based lubricant (like KY or Astroglide). The lube helps keep condoms from breaking, and makes things far more comfortable for both partners.

[ 08-16-2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.