Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pimples, or...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pimples, or...
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alatariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago I noticed something that might have been a pimple "down there", but I'm not sure. It looked like a whitehead, but wouldn't pop, and was painful when I tried. It didn't itch, but was painful if touched. When this occured, I hadn't ever been sexually active, and had never gotten cold sores on my mouth (I'm actually not entirely sure what cold sores look like). Could this be herpes? If it could, where could I go to get tested? My mother won't let me get a new doctor, and the doctor who I currently go to is a pediatrician, and has already informed me that she doesn't do pelvic exams or STD screenings. I want to get both of these before I go away to school (and possibly have unprotected sex with my boyfriend) but have no idea how to find a place. My doctor was thuroughly useless when I ased her for a clinic I could go to. Please reply ASAP, I'm worried.
Posts: 128 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use Planned Parenthood of Canada: http://www.ppfc.ca/.

(Of course, if your doc doesn't do those things, per guidelines for healthcare in Canada, she does need to give you a referral, and all you need is a referral to any OB/GYN. if she claims she doesn't know what one of those are, she's being dishonest.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alatariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this sound like herpes or HPV though?
Posts: 128 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We really can't say ... You'd need to be examined, in person, by a physician.

I'm in Ontario as well. If there is no PP near you, and you want to tell me your location, i can find a clinic for you. Sometimes local health units have sexual health clinics and will do exams and STI testing.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Thank you so much, LilBlueSmurf. I'm in Richmond Hill. It's about half an hour-45 minutes away from Toronto, but for me to get to the PP clinic there would take over an hour. If you know of a place that's closer, that'd be great. If not, I guess I'll have to wait until I go to school, where they have STD screenings at the student health centre.
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I know just where Richmond Hill is! I live in Kingston but my mom lives in Aurora ... I was just there last week! ... Small world!)

York region health unit has a sexual health program which you can learn more about here ... There is a phone number for you to call and it says there is a clinic in Richmond Hill [Smile]

If all else fails though, don't hesitate to take advantage of your school's services. I've had my Pap tests through my school's health services 3 years in a row now.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

If you live in Kingston, then you may know the answer to this. I'm going to Queens in September, and was thinking of getting tested there. Do they do that? And would my student health insurance cover it?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

I live in Kingston, but i do not go to Queens [Wink] And i keep forgetting how close we are to the school year !!

They do that [Wink] If you have an OHIP card, that will cover whatever services (unless otherwise stated by the doctor) they give you.

There is a bit of information as to what is covered and what isn't here

If you're still under your parents insurance, you may not need school insurance. That gave me an extra $150/year that i didn't have to pay the school. You may have to pay it anyway though, or you may need to prove you're still in school so they dont' cut you off w/o telling you (like they did to me!) If you're going to be under school insurance, you can learn all about that here

Just curious ... Do you have a place to live now? What are you taking? (I'm so nosy [Wink] )

--------------------
~ unknown

Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

I'm going to be in residence, and I'm doing a general arts first year. Psychology, Political Science, Contemporary problems in religion and culture, Linguistics, and Studies in Literature.
Thank you SO much for your help. I feel much better now.

[ 08-18-2006, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Alatariel ]

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Anytime [Wink]

Hope you enjoy Kingston and Queens!

Good luck !

--------------------
~ unknown

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.