Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ovarian cyst, perhaps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovarian cyst, perhaps?
Inferi
Neophyte
Member # 29171

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Inferi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my period's been regular down to the day for about two years or so now, and I've *always* had notable ovulation pain mid-cycle. But this time, I experienced absolutely no pain, discomfort, nor any other sign I always got mid-cycle,almost as if I didn't ovulate, and now, with my period being about four days late, and no signs of PMS as per usual (very odd for me), I've been getting very sore right about where my right ovary is. My lower abdomen is bloated, particularly along that right side, as well.

I plan on bringing this up with my mother and attempt to see a doctor about it, although I doubt she will think anything of it; she generally assumes I'm a hypochondriac. But before I do that, am I simply over-reacting, or might there actually be something wrong that I should get checked out? I know cysts tend to be pretty common, so that would be my first assumptiom, as I'm unsure as to what else it could be.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I just felt my abdomen for my ovaries and whatnot (I'm rather sure it was them I was feeling) and noticed that not only does it cause a great amount of pain to feel for it, but that right ovary seems to be considerably larger than the other. Noted as well was the fact that the pain/swelling is even more noticable when feeling from within my vagina.

[ 07-23-2006, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Inferi ]

Posts: 29 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had a gynecologist visit before? If you've been menstruating for a number of years, and haven't, this would be a good time to get a checkup. It's better than self-diagnosing, and it's a matter of telling your mother that you get checkups for the rest of your body, it's probably time to get looked at and make sure everything's working as it should, whether or not you may have cysts.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inferi
Neophyte
Member # 29171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inferi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been mensturating for about six years now, and no, I've not had a gynocologist visit yet. And I know that a self-diagnosis will probably do nothing for me; this is just what came to mind first, as I don't know much of what *could* be going on, if it is in fact anything.

I did bring this up with my mother this morning, and although she doubts it is anything abnormal, she will attempt to get me an appointment as soon as she can, if her job permits. The general med clinic here doesn't take our insurance, however, but I understand that Planned Parenthoods will also do exams. Perhaps I can convince her to take me there, if we end up not being able to get an appointment with my normal doctor.

Posts: 29 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.