Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just wondering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just wondering
Beca
Neophyte
Member # 29656

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Beca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is an STI? And what are the diffrent forms of it?

Also, How long is the time line on Ovulation(SP?) from the end of my pierod? And when would it end?

Just trying to further my education,
Beca

[ 07-02-2006, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Beca ]

--------------------
Beca

Posts: 3 | From: Keller, Texas | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An STI is a Sexually Transmitted Infection. Some of the more common ones are herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HPV. Check out the STI Files for more info.

Ovulation occurs (in a very general sense) somewhere around the middle of your cycle - so about halfway between the start of one period and the beginning of the next. However, it can occur twice in one cycle, or nearer the beginning or end for many women, so the only way to know for sure if you're ovulating is by charting your cervical mucus and basal temperature (counting days is pretty much useless). Doing so over the course of several months will allow you to establish an overall pattern to your cycles. The article on the main site, On the Rag, describes the entire menstrual cycle in detail, so have a look at that and come on back if you have any more questions.

[ 07-02-2006, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An STI is a sexually transmitted infection generally passed through unprotected sex, although there a couple of STDs that condoms don't fully protect against. Herpes and HPV can be transmitted from skin to skin contact and condoms don't fully cover the genitals. Scarleteen has a great page on STD's and the different types on the main page under the infection section.

Here's the link:
http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/index.html

Per the ovulation question..I'll save that for someone more experienced. I don't want to give you any wrong information. [Smile]

Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! We must have been posting at the same time. Didn't mean to repeat information. Sorry!
Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey, nina? Ask Scarleteen is for volunteer and staff replies only - please make sure from now on only to post replies in the main forums. Thanks!)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Oh gosh I'm sorry!! I just saw the question on the main page and responded. I didn't know it was in this section. I'm SO SORRY.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.