Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Help! Need Pregnancy Test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Need Pregnancy Test
Monotonous
Activist
Member # 29530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monotonous         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so, I'm still worried about pregnancy from my ordeal about two weeks ago. Is has been long enough for me to take a pregnancy test with fairly accurate results. I have a Planned Parenthood appointment tomorrow to start the pill, get an exam, pap smear, STI testing, the works. However, the PP in my area will not administer a pregnancy test unless you are at least 5 days late for your period. Obtaining a pregnancy test any other way is extremely difficult(Live with parents, they are always home, COMPLETELY disapprove of me even kissing my boyfriend -- my grandmother's taking me to start the pill for my irregularity and terrible cramps). What should I do?
Posts: 59 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most clinics I know of will not prescribe birth control to any woman without a pregnancy test, especially if the women is worried about a pregnancy risk, so it seems a bit odd to me that in this situation they wouldn't be giving you one anyway. Also, if you are concerned, there is no reason you cannot ask whoever you see for a pregnancy test when you go in and let them know you know pregnancy tests will be accurate 14 days after a risk.

Another option you would have as well, if they are going to stick to this guideline, is to simply wait and see if you get your period, and if not go in and ask for a test then. Part of being sexually active is being able to have access to sexual health care, and this means being able to get yourself (via a boyfriend, a friend, the bus, etc.) to have STI screenings, exams, etc.

Though, is this about the question you asked regarding oral sex, or is this a different situation? Because honestly, if this is just from the question you had regarding oral sex, you have not HAD a pregnancy risk to begin with, so there would be absolutely no reason you'd even need to test for pregnancy. If that has been the only instance where you've had a potential risk, you're really worrying yourself needlessly.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monotonous
Activist
Member # 29530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monotonous         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that (them having to give you a test before prescribing birth control *duh*). I feel better about it.

And yes, this is about the oral sex thing. I do know it's silly, and I think I'll be fine when I do these things and end up getting worried a few weeks later or when my period's late. Which is one reason why I'm starting birth control and abstaining from vagina-penis contact for a very very long time. But then I get worried about getting pregnant some other way. And I know this will probably mean I'm not ready to have a sexual relationship but I really think I am. I just worry about everything. When pregnancy's not on my mind, I'm thinking about sickle-cell anemia, tapeworm, cancer, and anything I've learned about recently. It's actually a huge problem. :/ I don't know what to do about it.

Posts: 59 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.