Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » white, very thick discharge after sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: white, very thick discharge after sex
c131
Neophyte
Member # 29341

Icon 4 posted      Profile for c131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After sex lately, there has been a very thick discharge from my vagina. It appears on my boyfriend's penis when he pulls out and on my vagina. This only happens after sex. I know that discharge is normal, and I do usually have discharge. But it has never been this thick. I know i dont have a yeast infection because i have had one before and i dont have any pain or itching, and the discharge does not have an odor. I have been on the birth control pill for over 6 months. I dont know if that would have something to do with it or not. We also used a lotion that might have made it thick. But i am not quite sure.

Please help. Thank You.

Posts: 10 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The consistency of your discharge changes for various, normal, healthy reasons.

But using lotion as a lubricant is not a good idea at all. One, it'll increase the likliehood of your condom breaking (the oils are bad for latex) and it will make for an unhappy vagina. Using a condom safe lube is a much better idea.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c131
Neophyte
Member # 29341

Icon 4 posted      Profile for c131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I know that you must use a water-based lubricant with condoms. We havn't used condoms for a while at this point. We feel pretty safe being on birth control and using the pull out method every time. I understand that there is also pre ejaculation and all of that.

Anyways, so you think that this discharge is normal? It has the consistanty of a paste. Even much thicker than a tooth paste, but not sticky. You would say this can be normal?

[ 06-12-2006, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: c131 ]

Posts: 10 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether you're using condoms or not, lotion is not the thing to use for lubrication during sex, or inside your vagina, period. So, if you've been doing that, it's possible you have an infection. Have you had any sort of itching, feels of rawness or soreness, uncomfortable dryness? Any clumps in the discharge? Any odor?

If not, then propbably you're looking at normal discharge. Part of how the pill works is by thickening cervical mucus, so it's expected that you might have thicker discharges than you're used to, the type most women not on hormonal BC see near the end of each fertility cycle.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c131
Neophyte
Member # 29341

Icon 5 posted      Profile for c131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You so much for your help. No there is no itching, rawness, soreness, dryness, clumps or odor. I'll take your advice that it is normal, and also to not use lotion. We have only used lotion on a few occasions. We usually do use a safe water based lube.

I also have another question to ask you that is completely different from this one. Please tell me if you would like me to post a different message for it.

As you know I am on the birth control pill, i take the pill every day at the same time (of course). But i would like to switch the time that i take my birth control. I have been taking it at 10pm, and i would like to switch it to around 5pm so it will be easier for me to remember. I don't miss my pills a lot at all, only a few times i have. and only one pill each time(never two in a row).But i still would feel better if the time was about 5pm, so that I wouldnt have to worry about falling asleep too early or being out at a party and forgeting.

Anyways, how would I safley switch these times without running the risk of ovulating and becoming pregnant? Should I wait until the end of my next period and start the next pack at 5pm instead of 10? Please help again!

Thank You so much!

[ 06-12-2006, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: c131 ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, switching at the start of your next pack is the easiest, most foolproof way.

[ 06-12-2006, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c131
Neophyte
Member # 29341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for c131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks a lot. I'll be sure to do that on my next pack.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.