Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Timing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Timing
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has any specific information on the reduced effectiveness of birth control when it's not taken at regular times. I take it every twenty four hours, but it's between the hours of 3pm and 12am. Is this too big a window, and could it be a reason why I've been feeling a bit more emotional? Earlier in the year, I was able to take it every day at about the same time, but it's been really difficult to do so nowadays. Thanks for your time!
Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With birth control, you have about a 3 hour window to be taking it in for it to remain effective. If you're taking a low dose pill, it's a bit smaller than that.

A nine hour window is definitely too big. If you cannot take the pill around the same time everyday, you are really risking its effectivness and you can cause some wonkiness with your body by not taking the hormones consitently (that may or may not be the reaosn you're feeling emotional lately, in all likelihood, it may be having some effect, but is probably not the actual cause).

We wouldn't be able to tell you how much the effectiveness would go down by taking the pill in this way, because there's no way to measure it. All you should know is that by taking the pill inconsitently like this, you are risking the pill not being effective as birth control.

Is there any way you can take your pill pack with you and take the pills by a watch or phone alarm? That way, you'll be able to take them at the same time each day, no matter where you are or what you're doing.

If this is not working for you, it may be a good idea to look into an alternate hormonal method such as the NuvaRing (which you changed monthly) or the patch (which you change weekly).

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a three hour window that BC can be taken in and still considered effective. For instance, if you take your pill normally at 12pm, taking it after 9am or before 3pm would still be okay. After that, it's considered a missed pill, and the cycle is compromised as far as pregnancy protection. I found that missing pills made for a really miserable cycle.

If you can, try setting an alarm on cell phone to help you remember, or try taking it when you first wake up or go to bed, if it's a consistent hour.

(mindmeld!)

[ 05-23-2006, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: DarkChild717 ]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.