Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » research as a profession?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: research as a profession?
Member # 28148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loudasthehelliwant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to study human behavior as a profession, (more specifically, human sexuality). Do you know of anywhere I could get information on that or any suggestions on just how I might go about pursuing that?

[ 03-30-2006, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: loudasthehelliwant ]

Posts: 7 | From: Chicago | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you in college/university? Talk to your profs! Ask about their research and what they did to get where they are. Look around at your school or others to see if they have programs related to what you're interested in and e-mail the supervisors and professors, and ask them the same thing (you can probably find this information on a college's website). A lot of universities also have seminars on graduate study and academics as a career option; check out academic/career advising as well. Try to network and meet people who might have opportunities for you to get in on, or who might know people who do!

I'm still an undergrad but I have been thinking of grad school and a research/academic career (with a healthy dose of activism as well), and this seems to be what I've picked up so far as a start.

Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, we really appreciate you helping out, but this area is for volunteer responses only. Thanks!

Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to forwarn you: getting into this sort of profession is going to take you a LOT of time and rigerous study if you're really serious about it.

I'm no expert (though with finding my own way into what I want to do I've been able to learn a lot), but in general, for what you're interested in you'd need a lot of focus in things like bio-chemistry and biology if you want the scientific, what happens in the brain side of things, and you'll need a good background in things like psychology, anthropology and biology/bio-chem for the more emotion/thought/etc. side. (Both are related, but you can get more specific in either direction, obviously)

Also, something like human sexuality would be what you'd find in post-grad work, going for a Masters and quite possibly a PhD (again, most likely in something like psychology or science, not human sexuality necessarily, thought there ARE a few schools who have graduate programs in sexology and similar subjects)

If you wanted to go the research route, as well, you may very likely have to start with a research center or at a university and work doing research on projects that you aren't as interested in before you can find or be assigned to projects you are more specifically in (again, human sexuality). I believe, as well, to ever start your own research projects you've either got to be incredibly rich, or you've got to have the backing of a research center/university/etc. to fund you, and to be able to do that, most generally, you have to have some sort of credential backing you such as a PhD.

Your best bet to get a more in-depth and not as rough-summarized version of what you'd really need to do, what you'd have to stufy, what sort of options you have to get to that goal point, find at your university's (or the university you're going to attend) your Academic Adviser, they'll be your most help.

aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erin E
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 27421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erin E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you!! This is a field that is so needed and there are so many interesting aspects to it. I'm now going to put in a shameless plug for the institution that I work at:

The University of MN is actually top in the field for studying human sexuality. There's a whole department devoted to human sexuality and multiple research opportunities abound. The department itself is run by physicians, nurses, social workers, anthropolgists ... you name it basically. The study of sex encompasses so many fields and there are so many ways to get there.

I don't know where you are in your education, but my advice to you would be to talk to the professors you know, or even make an appointment with a professor you don't know but is doing work in the field (I'm assuming you're in college, by the way). See if you can set up some sort of project. Most people are so thrilled when somebody is interested in what they're interested in, that they'll bend over backwards to help you. At least then you'd know whether you liked it or not.

Okay, that's all I got. But yeah for you!!!

[ 03-29-2006, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Erin E ]

Posts: 77 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.