Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The Combined Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Combined Pill
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so my doctor booked my an appointment for monday at the fam planning to discuss wether or not to put me on the combined pill for my heavy periods, but i was curious does the combined pill work as birth control? Because she didnt meantion anything about that.
If it does would it be ok to have intercourse when the pill is fully in my system without a condom on an no worry about becoming pregnant?
I know that it doesnt protect sti's but im just curious about the rest as im a little nervous about mondays appointment,

[ 03-15-2006, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Natasha89 ]

--------------------
Behind every great man is a great woman

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the combination pill works as birth control; the fact that it tends to lighten periods in many women is just a bonus.

We recommend waiting one full cycle of pills before having sex with no other protection. After the first month though, if you've been taking them correctly (same time every day, no missed ones), then the pill is about 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the fast reply.
I know you have to start taking them on the first day of ur period, but what if im a few days late to what i should have bled do i just take the pill as soon as i start to bleed or take it on the expected date? and do u know if the side effects are severe like do they include vomiting of just nausea? i feel stuoid askign all these questions i feel like i should know the answer sorry to ask so many

--------------------

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, you can either start taking them on the first day of your period (not the expected day, the day it actually starts), or the Sunday after your period starts. Starting them either of these ways helps ensure that you're not screwing with your cycle right in the middle of it.

Side effects vary from person to person, but don't be surprised if you're a little nauseous for at least the first few days. Vomiting would be more unusual, but taking your pill with some food can help reduce any nausea.

(And hey, don't worry about the questions! That's what we're here for - and remember that you can always ask your doctor, it's what they're there for as well. [Smile] )

[ 03-15-2006, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My doctor asked me to write a list of questions down but i thought tha would be silly but to come here instead as this site helped in the past.
I wasnt aware the pill pack had dates on (i feel relieved now in the sense i know if im taking them the right days)
Thanks for the advice with taking the pill with food to help with the nausea i hate feeling sick so i hope this helps
thankyou for your advice x

[ 03-15-2006, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Natasha89 ]

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Taking a list of questions to the doc is never silly. I do the same thing - pretty much every time I'm there, actually - and it really helps me remember all my questions!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.