Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » "The Patch"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Patch"
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im off to my doctors tomorrow to discuss birth control, and ive been researching on the internet about the patch?
I did ask briefly about it to family planning but she said i need to discuss it to my doctor.
Can anyone give me any advice before hand like what does it do? and is it an effective birth control (i know ts not effective against sti's) any information would be grateful thankyou

--------------------
Behind every great man is a great woman

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The patch is a method of birth control that releases hormones at a constant rate for a week. At the end of one week, you take off that patch and put on a new one. After three weeks of patches, you remove the patch and have your withdrawal bleed, then start the cycle again.

It's highly effective (99% when used correctly). Many people use it with no problems. One thing you may want to discuss with your doctor though is that the patch does have more estrogen in it than the amount in the combination pill, and it's unclear at this point whether this has a chance of increasing side effects.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou for replying so quickly,
can i ask a stupid question is it water proof like are they strong sticky things or are they like plasters? sorry seems daft but i was curious if it can come off when you rub clothes against it?

--------------------

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly (I can't answer this from personal experience as I haven't used the patch) they're waterproof and able to withstand rubbing from clothing. According to the website, www.orthoevra.com, you can swim, shower, whatever with a patch on and it shouldn't come off. Basically, they're like a bandaid that's a big larger and extra sticky.

[ 03-13-2006, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou for your help an supplying that link
i didnt know or was aware there was a website x [Smile]

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

No problem. [Smile] Thanks for the thank you!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.