Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » tampon trouble

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tampon trouble
InquiringMind
Neophyte
Member # 24840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InquiringMind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a college freshman and have been menstruating for over five and a half years, but still cannot figure out how to use a tampon correctly. I swear, it doesn't fit! And it hurts even to try to get it in.

When I was younger and a virgin, I always assumed that my vagina was abnormally small and tight, and that I would probably have to wait until I was sexually active to start wearing tampons.

However...I am sexually active now. My boyfriend's penis, which is obviously much bigger than a tampon, has no trouble sliding right in. It makes absolutely no sense to me that a tampon would still not fit.

This is so embarrassing, since even my younger sisters have no problems with tampons! Obviously, I know where my vagina is and I'm perfectly familiar with the normal instructions for inserting a tampon. The only problem is, it just doesn't work!

I have always been a little squeamish about touching those areas...I have virtually never masturbated to orgasm, and rarely touch myself there at all. Like I said though, I am very sexually active with my boyfriend and enjoy it very much. It's not that I am unfamiliar with my sex organs or anything.

I have tried to insert tampons so many times. Once, I got it almost all the way in, but the bottom still stuck out and it was very painful.

What is the problem? Why can't I use tampons???

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some tips...
FAre you trying out tampons while you're menstruating? It's easiest if you have at least a medium flow, because otherwise, the cotton can feel dry and uncomfortable.

Also,I think that plastic applicators can make it easier for first time tampon users. I recommend a Regular size or smaller.

In addition, are you tensing up when you're inserting it? That can definitely make insertion more difficult. When you're trying to insert it, try bearing down. Bearing down means that to push like you're trying to move something out of your vagina. You may want to try bearing down and exhaling deeply when you're trying to insert it. Furthermore, aimnig it towards your back, not straight up and down can help a lot, as well as perhaps some water based lube. Hope this helps!

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InquiringMind
Neophyte
Member # 24840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InquiringMind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, I always have been using tampons with plastic applicators, and only during my period with medium to heavy flow...

Tensing up may very well be the problem, but I don't know how to not do that. I keep feeling like I'm aiming it wrong, and that there isn't anywhere for it to go, which I realize makes no sense, especially since I'm definitely not a virgin. I tried aiming it toward my back like you said, but no luck. It just really hurts!!

I don't really want to use lube...I never like to use non-natural lube for anything really, and besides, if I'm retarded enough to need lube to put in a tampon...maybe I should stick to pads?

I think I might also be subconciously nervous that I might get a sexual feeling from putting the tampon in, the thought of which really grosses me out!

I guess I should either get over it or give up and stick to what I'm comfortable with. Am I missing something?? This really shouldn't be so difficult!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried applicator-free tampons? Personally, i prefer those far beyond regular tampons, and i find them easier to get into place; and i've been using tampons for 10+ years now

Not being able to use tampons is a very common complaint here ... So don't worry. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it when you're ready.

If it's stressing you out this much though, sticking to pads only for now may be a good idea. There's no reason anyone HAS to use tampons.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allyoucanhopefor
Neophyte
Member # 26730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allyoucanhopefor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have some trouble with tampons...

I'm a college junior who used to be in nursing, so I've learned in school how to give pap spemars and stuff. I know from school that the uterus can be in difference places in women's bodies, so it seems to make sense then that the vagina can be at different angles too. The expert/advocate is right that most vaginas head toward the back, but perhaps this is not true for the person with the original post.

I've tried different angles and that has worked once or twice, but so has finding a lighter absorbency tampon. My question is does anyone make super light weight versions? Or boxes entirely made for light flow?

Maybe "heavy" for me and this other gal is light in volume compared to the general population...I know this definition tends to vary becasue a pad and tampon together cannot help one woman I know. They just don't make enough absorbancy for her "heavy".

------------------
"Love reveals us to ourselves by making us come out of ourselves."
>George Gusdorf

Posts: 4 | From: Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.