Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Cold Sore

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold Sore
The Shy One
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I woke up with what I think is a cold sore. The corner of my mouth has been sore for a few days and I thought it was just cracked and dry, but today it looks weird. I'm terrified I'm going to get genital herpes. Last night my boyfriend and I were making out and he went down on me (I didn't give him head though)... I'm paranoid that I'm going to get genital herpes if this is indeed a cold sore. Someone said I should go to the doctor and get put on Valtrex incase... is this necessary?
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Valtrex only prevents the SYMPTOMS of herpes -- as in, cold sores -- it cannot prevent transmission, per se.

If you suspect you have oral herpes, you should see your doctor regardless. And if you and your partner are not keeping current with your yearly STI screenings -- especially if you haven't been practicing safer sex with latex barriers -- then you BOTH should do that as well, regardless.

If you do, in fact, have oral herpes, you can talk to your doctor about medications like valtrex which help reduce the number of coldsore breakouts, and you can also ask about how to start practicing safer sex AND about how to be aware of when an outbreak may be coming. Per giving yourself genital herpes from your own oral herpes, that's not so likely, but CAN be an issue if, for instance, you have oral herpes, give IT to a partner (or your partner already had it), and then they transmit herpes to you genitally. But again, all of these things can be asked directly of your general physican or gynecologist.

Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3

Search Scarleteen