Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Lubrication Irritation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lubrication Irritation
The Shy One
Activist
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been using KY liquid every time we have sex. Recently, I have developed an irritation to it and it really burns when it is used. We're not going to use it anymore and are going to switch to a new brand. I was just wondering if I will develop a similar reaction to other brands? We used KY fine for about 3 months but lately it feels as if I'm on fire if it gets near my genitals. Will other water based lubes be fine or should I look into silicone based ones?

(We've both had STD checks and came back clean, so my irritation isn't STD related)

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
A number of posters at Scarleteen have not liked KY for a variety of reasons. Yet for others, it works just fine. It is impossible to predict what your reaction will be to another lubricant. However, if you have the same reaction with the new lube, you shold consult your gyn.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the same sort of reaction to Astroglide when my partner and I have used the same bottle for a while. A new bottle has always solved the problem. You might try getting a new bottle and then making sure you are changing your bottle regularly (I know that we can't keep the same bottle for more than 6 months at a time, so when it gets to be around that time and/or as soon as I start to feel ANY irritation at all, we throw the bottle away, no matter how much is left in it). Trying a new lube might also help with the problem. And as Bobo suggested, if none of that helps, definatley consult your gyn.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.