Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Odor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Odor
aquarius
Neophyte
Member # 21739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aquarius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost 20 years old and since I was around 15 i've had a constant vaginal smell. No strange discharges, and no infections....but always a very strong smell. So strong in fact that in class i have to sit cross-legged because if i don't i'm afraid others will smell it....which is possible because i can smell it even while standing, walking or whatever. I often have to change my underwear more than twice a day because it is so strong. I also spray the crotch of my pants sometimes with pefume because the smell clings to them! It inhibits me from letting my boyfriend of two years go down on me, or even touch me down there. I know douching is bad for your health and i don't think i would even consider doing that anyways but it's too the point where i can't take it anymore. Is there anything i can do besides accepting my womanly scent ? Because, honestly, that for me is not an option any longer.
Thanks you.

Posts: 1 | From: Indianapolis, IN USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few things here I can think of.

First of all, have you been to a health care professional and had a thorough exam and screening, just to rule out that you don't, in fact, have any conditions that could be making your vaginal odor stronger? There are conditions which can arise without sexual contact being necessary, like bacterial vaginosis, which can affect the scent of your vaginal secretions.

Second, stop with the perfume spraying, and don't even think about the douching. Anything that you put down there that can upset your body chemistry--like douching, perfumes, or those "feminine hygiene sprays"--can bring on an imbalance like the ones I talked about above, and can even make you more prone to yeast infections and more susceptible to STD/STI transmission. So this is not the solution.

See what a professional has to say, and make sure that there is not an underlying medical condition that needs to be taken care of. If not, perhaps this is something normal about your body chemistry. It's likely, too, that you notice it because you're so worried about it, and that no one else may ever notice. Finding out for sure that it is not a symptom of a bigger underlying condition may ease your mind, as well--and if it *is*, it can be treated.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"And when the answer that you want/Is in the question that you state/Come what may..." - Coheed and Cambria, "Blood Red Summer"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.