Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pill help, anybody?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pill help, anybody?
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, my post has deleted itself *twice* now! I hope my computer will stay alive until I've finished this one.

So I've been on Alesse for a year now (we always use a condom besides). I always take the pill on time, and I really love the idea of hormonal contraception. I've experienced some side effects though, like a LOT of breakthrough bleeding (where my periods always lasted for five days pre-pill, my withdrawal bleeds sometimes last for three weeks). Also, I've noticed some androgenic effects like a lot of excess facial and body hair. I decided it was time to switch pills.

Unfortunately, I was only home for two weeks during this winter break from college. My gynecologist was completely booked (apparently she's pretty popular), so I scheduled an appointment with my family doctor. I had a physical and everything turned out to be fine, apart from those effects I attribute to the pill. Even my iron levels are quite high, in spite of the extra bleeding.

However, my doctor is really adverse to prescribing medicine of any kind, so he refused to give me a prescription for a new pill without a gyno appointment. I have to go back to college in a couple of days, and I won't be able to get an appointment in that time. I have a difficult time getting off-campus, too. I realize condoms are a great and fairly reliable method of birth control when used correctly, but I'm a little uneasy about using only one type of contraception after watching several friends and family members experience unwanted pregnancies. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could switch my pill?

Thanks so much.

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your college campus have a clinic? Generally campus clinics can do gynecological checkups and prescribe pills/switches- my university campus health clinic did it for me last year.

That would be your best bet if you have difficulty getting off campus.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.