Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Slipping...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slipping...
paradiddle
Neophyte
Member # 13977

Icon 5 posted      Profile for paradiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering... My long-time girlfriend and I recently started having sex. We've been using condoms all along, but the past 3 times we've had sex, the condom seems to be slipping about 1/3 of the way up before or during withdrawal. It doesn't come all the way off, and from what I can tell, there isn't any semen leakage. It still covers the tip and 2/3 of the way down, there's just a couple inches of slack at the end. We've been using just plain lubricated and spermicidal condoms. I just wondered if there is a signifigantly increased chance of pregnancy due to the above mentioned.
Posts: 3 | From: Bristol, TN USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few little things that worry me about your post.

First of all, we don't recommend using spermicidal condoms. They can irritate tissues and make STI/STD transmission more likely. There's not enough spermicide on a condom to be of any help, anyway, so it's a lose-lose situation.

(Also, remember that even if a condom is "lubricated," you will still need to use extra condom-safe lubricant, both to prevent the condom from breaking and for comfort.)

Remember that it is necessary to hold the condom at the base of the penis when withdrawing from penetration, to prevent it from leaking or from slipping off.

All this said, it sounds like what you've got here is a case of ill-fitting condoms. The brands are all cut differently, and it's worth it to buy a variety and experiment to find what fits you best and what feels the best to you.

Part of proper condom usage is proper fit. When you say "there's just a couple inches of slack at the end," do you mean at the head of the penis or at the base? There should be a bit of space at the head, when you pinch the condom there as you unroll it, to leave room for any ejaculate.

See this link for more: A Simple Condom Primer

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"And when the answer that you want/Is in the question that you state/Come what may..." - Coheed and Cambria, "Blood Red Summer"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.