Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The Patch & Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Patch & Pregnancy
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 5 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

My question is how do you tell if you are pregnant if you are on the birth control patch? Does a pregnancy test still work?

I guess most women would know they are not pregnant because when they take there spacer pills or don't wear a patch for a week they have their periods.

My gynecologist is having me try this relatively new idea that has been studied for a while now. It's wearing the patch all the time, and in so, not having a period.

If anyone would like to read more this is the site my gynecologist gave me http://www.noperiod.com/handout.html

There are lots of links to scientific studies and articles on this idea of no periods.

Also what is anyone's opinion on this?

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO long-term studies have yet been done on ceasing menstruation altogether, and those which HAVE been done have only shown that short-term, it is likely safe ONLY so long as women menstruate at least four times per year. And to my knowledge, the tests that have been done have been done on adult, not teen women, who have special possible concerns from taking hormonal birth control just as directed.

(The sort of thing stated at that site has a pretty serious flaw, in that not menstruating due to pregnancy and not menstruating due to synthetic hormones are not the same thing.)

So, unless you have a specific health condition your GYN is trying to treat, I'd advise you get a second opinion on that practice and advice if he or she is suggesting you NEVER cease the patch.

And yes, pregnancy tests work just the same when on hormonal birth control.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pregnancy test will still work when you're on the patch.

However, if you're using it according to your gynecologist's directions, it's safe to say you are protected from pregnancy without taking a pregnancy test. (Assuming s/he knows you intend to use the patch to prevent pregnancy, not just to regulate periods.)

If you still don't feel safe, why not back it up with condoms? This is a good idea anyway because the patch provides no protection from STD/STIs.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.