Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Satutory Rape laws in WA STATE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Satutory Rape laws in WA STATE
Fox Lover
Neophyte
Member # 19555

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Fox Lover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.. big question. I need to know what the legal consent age is in WA state. Usually it's 18 but I've never really looked it up. My friend is turning 18 in November and her boyfriend is like 20 years old. I am 15 and my boyfriend turned 17 in June and she's like be threatening me with these laws. She gave me a link to her 'proof' but it told me nothing. It just said "blabla, third degree if not married" but that goes for her too. So I'm sure that's not what she was getting at. Can someone PLEASE tell me? Is it 18? What?

*need an answer fast*
THANK U

[This message has been edited by Fox Lover (edited 08-30-2004).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the age of consent information regarding Washington State, taken directly from the Age of Consent website:

quote:

The age of consent entry for the State of Washington was changed to "16/18" in July, 2000,
BECAUSE:

Washington enacted a law similar to Florida in which a person 16 or 17 may consent to
sexual activity with a person not more than 59 months (4 years 11 months) older. (For example
it is illegal for a 21 year old to have sex with a 16 year old; it is illegal for a 22 year old to
have sex with a 17 year old).

As far as my understanding of this statute goes (and if I'm reading this wrong, I'm sure someone will poke me with the clue stick), because you're fifteen, you cannot legally consent to having sex with anyone.

------------------
Tim, as in "Donate"
Scarleteen Advocate

"Each has his past shut in him like the leaves of a book known only to him by his heart, and his friends can only read the title." -- Virginia Woolf.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.