Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Herpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herpes
The Shy One
Activist
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A girl I live with is waiting for her results from an STD test. The doctor she saw thinks she may have herpes. If this turns out to be true what precautions do I need to take in order to make sure I don't become infected?
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the lowdown on herpes:

The STI Files: Herpes Simplex

Herpes has to be spread from an infected area of the body and during an infectious period, ie during an outbreak or immediately before one. If your housemate has genital herpes, then keeping away from her genitals during any outbreaks should be sufficient.

As the article says, one in five people in the US in infected with herpes, so treat her the same way you treat any other five people, really, unless you're in a sexual relationship.

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Love Scarleteen? Show your love for just $1.

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.