Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control Debate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control Debate
PCQueen
Neophyte
Member # 18209

Icon 5 posted      Profile for PCQueen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried several hormonal birth control methods including mono and tri cyclens and they depleated my mood and natural lubrication and gave me abdominal pains and some pretty rough periods. I want to try a different non hormonal method that does not include covering the penis or vagina with latex or inserting weird cup shaped things. I'd like to apply the most natural and non evasive method I can. I talked to my gyno and she recommended an IUD but I've started to hear infertility horror stories already and I know that you don't recommend them for young women, I'm 19 and I want to have kids but not for at least 5 years. What should I do besides condoms and monogamy and checkups??
Posts: 1 | From: Shelton,WA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing: it's a little silly to be looking for a "natural" method for something that's about thwarting nature. Essentially, NO methods of birth control are "natural," and certainly not hormonal contraceptives. And just because they aren't natural doesn't make them weird or problematic.

It definately sounds like hormonal methods aren't for you (though it should be mentioned that lately many women who have had troubles with the pill or depo have been reporting the nuvaring is working for them). And no, I'd not suggest an IUD for younger women, pre-childbirth, and neither would most GYNs who serve young women, in my experience.

That leaves you with cervical caps or diaphragms (which if you use a Keeper or tampons, are really no different), as well as condom use. If you want to combine something more "natural" with condoms for backup, you can start charting your cycles as well, and then abstain from ALL procreative sexual activity when you discover you're most fertile, using condoms all other times.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.