Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » STD vs. STI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD vs. STI
Jim007
Activist
Member # 17533

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jim007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this isn't really a personal question or anything like that, but I'm just kind of curious. I have often times seen you (the moderators and advocates) use the term STI when dealing with what I always thought was an STD. My question is, what if any, is the difference between an STD and an STI. If there isn't, then why do some people use one term over the other (I've seen it used elsewhere too).

Thanks, I was just kind of curious

[This message has been edited by Jim007 (edited 05-17-2004).]

Posts: 63 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just discussed that in another thread a little bit ago, but can't find it. In short, they are basically, but not quite, synonymous. Here's an explanation from another post I penned some time back:

" The simplest way I know how to put this is that infection is the growth of an organism within a host or the introduction of such to a host, which may be counteracted by antibodies, and not necessarily become disease, and disease -- which infection can lead to -- is what happens when and if that battle is lost and the organism essentially changes the host.

Thus STIs are infections, STDs diseases. For example, HIV is an infection which can lead to AIDS, which is a disease."

But "disease" is also often used as an umbrella term for illness as a whole.

Many people tend to use "STD" as either a scare tactic or with a plotical agenda to stimgatize, because many people find the term "disease" scarier than the term "infection."

Medically, STI is the most recently accepted umbrella term, if you choose to only use one, and most STIs/STDs ARE specifically viral, bacterial or parasitic infections, so it's the most accurate. We often still use the term STD mainly because some people are more familiar with it.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.