Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Questions about Doctor's appointment...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about Doctor's appointment...
AsleepOnASunbeam
Activist
Member # 16164

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AsleepOnASunbeam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Doctor's appointment Friday (Actually, my mom is trying to get it moved to Thursday instead...So, it's either Thursday or Friday). I'm going there for my yearly physical or whatever. Now usually the doctor will have my mom leave the room and ask questions like do you smoke, do you do drugs, are you sexually active..etc. All of which, the answers are "yes". Now, I know that may seem bad, and I know it is. Not so much the sex, which is pretty bad I guess, but mainly the drugs and the smoking. I don't want to say yes to those questions. I'm not exactly planning on quiting smoking, however, I am going to stop smoking weed. I don't do it often, I've done it less than 10 times, even though I should never have to begin with. What I'm worried about is, I smoked weed, not this past Thursday, but the Thursday before that. I'm scared that if I have to take a pee test, they will test for drugs. My mom says they test for like, kidney problems and what not. Do they test for drugs during a physical, or not? Should I say "yes" when he asks me if I smoke or do drugs? Another thing, when he does ask me if I'm sexually active, should I answer with "yes"? I'm really not ready for my mom to know! And I'm worried he would tell her..but everyone says that he has to keep it confidential, does he? Thanks!
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't lie. You'd be setting yourself up for some serious problems later. If you are sexually active and smoke, you are sexually active and smoke, and need to receive the appropriate care for someone in your situation. If you are given time alone with your doctor take advantage of it and 'fess up, or else you might be putting yourself in actual physical danger. A great deal of the population is sexually active and/or smokes one plant or another, it's nothing your doctor hadn't seen. And no, urine tests do not test for drug use unless there's a specific reason to test for it. Anything additional that can be tested for costs money, so there's really no reason to do so.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

Everything's been sold to others' revolutions

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.