Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BC patch and birth defects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC patch and birth defects
Ladybug_dancer
Neophyte
Member # 8763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladybug_dancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started the Ortho Evra Patch about a year ago. It worked wonderfully. In January I skipped a pack. I was not able to get it on time and so I waited until my period came to start a new pack. Well, my fiance' and I had unprotected sex around the week of before and after my period. I was afraid to start the patch again for fear of birth defects or miscarriage if in fact I did become pregnant so I decided to wait. Well, that cycle continued and I am now in May. Well, I know that my cycle is about 33-35 days long and my last period started on the 4th which makes my ovulation around the 17th of May. We had unprotected sex last night the 13. I know that sperm can last 7 days and with my ovulating on the 17 in four days it is very possible I could become pregnant. My question is, could I start the patch NOW and not have to worry about birth defects or miscarriage if a pregnancy were to occur? Or should I wait until my next period which won't be until the first week of June. Can I get a blood test next week to determine? I wouldn't mind if I got pregnant, we are financially and emotionally ready. We are 22 and planning to get married. I just don't want things to go wrong. I also drink an unbelievably amount of caffine. I mean no water for weeks or months at a time, only soft drinks. Will that cause miscarriage or infertility?

Thanks for your time.

Posts: 13 | From: Dallas, Tx | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't start the patch until after you have a period. If you have a period and it's normal for you, then you can start the patch after that. If you don't get your period when expected, you can take a pregnancy test. Pregnancy tests are accurate 10-14 days after the last time you had a pregnancy risk, so you can also test starting on the 23rd if you need to know sooner.

If you are considering pregnancy, it's always good to think about your overall health. That would include taking vitamins (including folic acid, which has been shown to decrease the risk of birth defects), exercising, and eating and drinking healthily (including replacing some of the soda in your diet with water).

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.