Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Im white shes black

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Im white shes black
Member # 17554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T.I.Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents have a problem with me dating some one a different color of skin I think and I donít know why itís not bad is it? Isnít love just something you can express and show toward someone no matter how different?
Posts: 3 | From: Dunno,maryland,the USofA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are all human, regardless of the color of our skin. In a perfect world, there would be no issues with dating people from another race. but unfortunately, the world ain't perfect.

If you choose to pursue this relationship, then understand you are going to face some obstacles. you can help overcome these obstacles by nurturing understanding. Let your parents get to know the girl (if and only if they are not outright hostile -- you do not want her to get hurt). Or at the very least, let your parents get to know some black people who are positive contributors to your community (i.e., give them some role models). Do your best to break down the stereotypes and negative ideas they hold towards non-white people (not just black, let's expand their horizons).

Q ... E ... D ... bee-yatch!
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.