Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » About STDs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About STDs
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a couple of questions... first, I'm 18 and I haven't had intercourse or oral/manual sex performed on me yet. My boyfriend, who is 18 as well, has had no sexual experience either, except for me masturbating him. Neither of us have been tested for STDs. Considering we've never been with anyone before, is there still a chance that one of us could catch a STD from the other one? I mean, STDs don't come out of nowhere - but I'm not sure whether some of them can be caught aside from sexual contact or not, herpes, for example.

Another question: I don't think I'll be performing oral sex on my boyfriend, at least not until I feel ready, which is not the case yet; and I am aware of the fact that swallowing involves a risk and so I'm not going to do it either until both of us have been tested. However, I also know that my boyfriend would like me to let him ejaculate on me. If you don't have any kind of injuries, is there any chance of getting a STD due to contact (hands, face, belly, for example) with semen?

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with regard to your first question: yes, even if neither of you have ever had sexual contact with anyone else before, it is still possible that you could already have diseases or infections. this is because just because a disease or infection CAN be sexually transmitted doesn't mean it is ONLY transmitted through sexual contact.

also, when you say you have no sexual experience, that most likely does not include kissing and the like. the herpes virus, for example, can be transmitted orally!

second question: with oral sex, the risk is not just with swallowing, it is with the entire act if no protection is used. if you use a condom, you will have nothing to worry about! i know the idea might sound unappealing, but trust me, with some flavored lube it's fine, and much better than worrying about diseases.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just realized i missed part of your second question.

while you should make sure to use a condom, to avoid transmission of infections, you should know that semen coming in contact with unbroken skin is not going to cause disease transmission. so getting it on your hands is ok. but if you have cuts, or get it on or near mucous membranes, you have a risk. so again, i still say condoms are the way to go.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.