Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Depo Provera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo Provera
Member # 12554

Icon 14 posted      Profile for krayzieqt55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an appointment for my gyno next week mainly to ask about birth control. I'm really considering Depo Porvero because I know that I can be very forgetful and that is a risk when it comes to the Pill. I've never heard anything bad or any bad reactions about Depo until I started looking through websites last night. There were women saying that they had taken DepoProvera for several years and the whole time, they had so many problems (continuous bleeding, extreme nausea, extreme lack of sexual interest, etc.) There was a girl that said she developed a serious problems from it and 5 years later she is still recooperating and has to detoxify her body, etc. This really started to scare me but I'm not sure if all this as actually valid. I was wondering if you had any information on Depo Provera or know of anyone who takes it and has had similar problems? Thank you.

Posts: 26 | From: florida | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main thing to bear in mind with Depo is that once you get your shot, you're stuck with it until the shot wears off.

So, personally, since side effects are similar for ALL hormonal methods, I'd suggest trying a more reversible one first to find out how your body reacts to hormonal birth control.

If you feel forgetfulness is an issue with you, you could consider the patch, for instance.

But ultimately, the person to talk to about this is your GYN.

Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.