Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » the tampons won't go in

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the tampons won't go in
Member # 11048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacvase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I just found this website a day ago and I relly like it. So anyway, I have a question. This may sound wierd but I'm 16 and I got my period about a month ago. I got it again and I wanted to try tampons. So I tried to put one in but it didn't go in. I tried putting it in with lube and it still wouldn't work. I've tried at every angle and have tried different sizes and brands. I just can't get it to go in! I don't mind pads but they sometimes are annoying. I have never had sexual intercourse or masturbated or have gotten fingered but it still is a little strange. I don't have a mom and I can't ask my dad. Help!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay then, let's try and help out step by step.

Sometimes, problems with tampon insertion can be due to a partial hymen still being in place. if you site down with your panties off and your legs spread and look at your vaginal opening with a hand mmirror, what do you see?

If it looks like the opening has little skin bits over it that sort of resemble what happens when you open your mouth and get "saliva strings" you may have a partially intact hymen. If so, often times, you can just sort of push the tampon around or through those bits, so give that a try.

If that isn't the case, time to try the whole thing slow and easy.

See if you can't stand over the toilet with one foot on the floor and the other on the seat. That gives you better leverage and an easier angle than fully sitting down. You're going to aim the tampon up into your vaginnal opening at a slight angle towards your back. Push it in slowly, and be sure not to bear down -- just relax, otherwise it isn't going to work.

If it goes in and it's in right, you shouldn't feel it in very much. Also, be sure you're using the most slender type, and it is often easier to use non-applicator tampons than the sort with the applicator.

Hopefully, that'll help. if not, we can try again, or you can ask a girlfriend for help as well.

And by the way, congratulations on your first period, in case no one has extended them!

Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.