Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Inflamed cervix, not fun!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inflamed cervix, not fun!
Member # 10206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miroredien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya :-). First I'd just like to say I think you ladies and gents on here do a fantastic job, and I plan to donate to your site when my VISA card comes through :-).

OK. I haven't had a proper period like I used to (continous quite heavy bleeding for 5-6 days) since.. January almost. In February it was very light, and the same for March & April. So in May, I decided to have the Depo Provera injection for three months. I also had a smear test on the same day, which they didn't say anything was out of the ordinary, but the results came back inconclusive, too much discharge. It wasn't too painful, and I'm glad I went :-). Anyway, I was meant to go back for Depo in August but I had chest pains the first time round so I didn't bother. Now, this is when I started to notice my discharge had increased a bit, it was yellow/browny red. When it was yellow it was a little bit OTT, but when it was browny red I had to wear a sanitary towel. For discharge! Anyway, I told my doctor last week, and he wasn't sure if it was Depo related or a problem on it's own, I didn't have any abdominal pain or anything, so he wasn't worried. Today I went for a smear again, and my doctor noted I had an inflamed cervix, which would explain why it was hurting majorley during the exam I guess. But now he mentioned that, I noticed that my vagina does kind of twinge in a sore way. He said I probably had an infection, but the problem is now I'm terrified I have some kind of STI and that I can't have children. Sounds stupid I know. I haven't had sex for nearly one and a half years now, and that was always protected. I since decided abstinance is the best form of contraception . I'm nearly 19 now, and I lost my virginity when I was 14 to a 16 year old virgin, and I'm ashamed to say it wasn't always protected, although he never ejaculated in me, but I know about precum, which is why I'm scared :-(. What if I've had an STI for 4 years and never realised, and now I'm infertile? Is that very likely? Or do you think I am worrying over nothing? The doctor said that it was most likely a "back to front" infection, which sounds lovely I must admit. I don't wipe back to front, always front to back, but are those kind of infections common too? Does this sound serious to you?

Thanks very much. Sorry for the long post! I worry too much, but I can't shake them off .

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if I've had an STI for 4 years and never realised

I'm afraid it is possible - some common STDs, like chamydia, can be around for a long while without showing any symptoms. It could just be a minor infection, but since you've had unprotected sex, I seriously recommend that you talk to your doctor (or go to a clinic) and get a full STD/STI screen.

The CDC recommend that all women with an inflamed cervix be tested for chlamydia at least:

and now I'm infertile?

Some STDs, if left untreated, can cause infertility. But it doesn't automatically follow. Nor does having an inflamed cervix automatically make you infertile.

But again, your best bet is to get screened, so that if you do have any infections they can be treated now.

It sounds as if being able to have children in the future matters a lot to you, so think of it as an investment in your reproductive health .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.