Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » what to do now?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what to do now?
HypeTress
Neophyte
Member # 10165

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HypeTress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well recently i posted a question about a cousin of mine being raped at a party we went to, well my cousin had filed a police report like 2 or 3 days after it happened and they arrested the guy (which was a cousin's husband), but they let him go. they said they didn't have evidence to convict him it was his word vs. hers. is there anything that can be done? what's going to happen now?? if you can help me, please do so! thanx!
Posts: 6 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that can happen. It can certainly happen if the evidence doesn't exist, and thus they feel they cannot prove the sexual aassault in question, and it can -- sadly -- happen, even when that person was indeed the perpetrator of a sexual assault.

As far as what else that can be done legally in this case, that's something for your cousin and her parents to talk about with their lawyer. Depending on the circumstances and what the entirety of the situation is, yes, sometimes additional steps can be taken (civil suits, pressing different charges, etc.).

As far as what is going to happen now, your cousin and her family simply need to talk about her safety and how they want to manage this. I'd also suggest she follow up with counseling for herself, and keep a watchful eye out. If he bothers her or harasses her in any way, action can be taken.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.