Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Late Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late Pill
PunkRockLove
Neophyte
Member # 8974

Icon 5 posted      Profile for PunkRockLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking birth control pills (ortho-tricyclen) and I scheduled myself to take my pill at 10:00 every morning. Usually, I'm really good at taking my pill on time, but a few days ago I spaced out and took it 2 hours late. That same night I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and the following morning I took my pill at the regular 10:00 time. My question is; is taking one pill 2 hours late something I should be concerned about? Or is that not long enough to count as missing a pill?
Posts: 4 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most pills have a window of about an hour or two in which you are still ok. Note, this doesn't mean that you should vary it like that all the time, but it's not nearly as bad as having not taken it at all, or been seriously late. So taking it as close to your normal time as possible is always going to be best.

You're most likely still ok, even with that single two hour variation. However, if you're worried, call your doctor and ask them about it. Also you can use a backup method of protection for the rest of the cycle if you're worried that your protection might have been compromised. Better safe than sorry, right?

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.