Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Should I be concerned?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I be concerned?
Clarinet Player
Neophyte
Member # 8063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarinet Player     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about 3 days late, and have been fooling around with a male friend of mine, but no sex, just dry. At what point should I either take a pregnency test or go to my doctor? Like I said, there wasn't any penetration, and the likihood of fluids passing through seems unlikely as we were both covered up with our respective undergarments. I haven't been under huge amounts of stress and have been eating healthy, so I doubt that has anything to do with this MIA. Just some input would be appreciated.
Posts: 7 | From: Minneapolis, MN, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that it takes your period about 4-5 years to regulate ... and even after that, your cycles (and the length of your cycles) can change.

According to our pregnancy risk flow chart you have no to little chance of pregnancy.

So, in short, i really wouldn't worry too much ... If you are still concerned, you can try taking a pregnancy test, and if it comes up negative and your period still doesn't come, try again 10-14 days later.

Since you are sexually active, remember to make annual appointments w/ your GP or OB/GYN. You may even want to bring this up at your next appointment

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clarinet,

While there are, like you mentioned, plenty of reasons besides pregnancy why a period can be late (it can take up to 5 years until they are get regular, stress and diet can influence your cycle, too), I think taking a pregnancy test when a period is late and when there has been an ever so slight risk of pregnancy can never harm, in my experience.
Dry sex does have a pregnancy risk, albeit a low one, if vaginal fluids and ejaculate soak through clothing.

Pregnancy tests give reliable the first day your period is late, so a test now would give you a reliable result and clear your mind.
If it comes up negative and your period is still on no-show-mode in a week, take another test to confirm the negative result.

But take one now, it sure helps to know for sure.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 06-25-2002).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eeep. mind melt.

sorry, smurf!

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.