Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » more smoking concerns and Ortho

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: more smoking concerns and Ortho
Zerospa
Neophyte
Member # 8521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zerospa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a question recently about smoking/birth control interaction, and many thanks to Ookuoto for the link. I still have to admit ignorance, however... I know smoking on the Pill is a bad combo, but the article says nothing of mixing the two under "health risks" which led me to wonder if it was also a bad idea on other forms [such as the more lasting ones.] Also, I'd like anyone's view on Ortho [not sure of its real, extended name.] I know very little of it except the fact that it's often also lauded for its ability to clear up skin. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you to all.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several bcp that start with Ortho. I assume you mean Ortho-Tr-Cyclen, whioch is commonly prescribed to first time pill users. For some info on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, check out

WebMD Drug Database: Ortho Tri-Cyclen

However, the best person to advise you on specific mediation is your doc. (S)he can best evaluate and explain whether a given birth control pill might be right for you.

As to smoking and the pill or other hormonal birth control such as Norplant and Depo (you meant that with "more lasting methods", did you?), it's the same overall: no smoking, or you significantly higher your risk of blood clots, heart attack and stroke. Check that here for Depo and here for Norplant.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.