Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ok...i feel dumb asking...but you know...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok...i feel dumb asking...but you know...
Member # 8306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I feel really dumb asking this, but I honestly dont know and I cant really find the answer anywhere...can you get genital herpes from a towel? how long can the virus or whatever survive outside of the body?
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Go Ask Alice

One theoretically possible, but highly unlikely, scenario is contracting the herpes virus from a damp towel. This may happen if an infected person, with significant viral shedding from active sores, rubs off a good amount of the virus onto a damp towel that is immediately used by an uninfected person, who then wipes it against his or her mucous membranes.

And from another section of the same site:

Normally, the herpes virus cannot live outside of a human host for more than a second or two. Some studies have shown that the virus can live up to several hours under warm, moist conditions, such as those created by steam baths and hot tubs. In such si tuations, however, the virus is weakened significantly, making it unlikely for infection to occur. Of course, there is always that shadow of a doubt---but very rarely do we ever hear of non-human transmission of herpes.

So yes, the towel scenario is possible, but quite unlikely.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.