Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question about condoms...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about condoms...
Dburk
Neophyte
Member # 8297

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Dburk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently went to a gas station to buy some condoms. I went to the counter to buy them and the man asked me for I.D. I was shocked when he asked me that, since out of the hundreds of times i have bought them before they never once needed it. I am an 18 year old male, but i refused to show him my I.D. He then proceeded to grab them out of my hand and demand that I leave. It was a regular Cheveron station, and I am wondering if what he did is legal??? Cant you buy condoms at about any age. I am appauledwhen i think of my friends, who encountered the same problem I have (though they are 17 and were told they had to be 18 to buy them) and then in turn got their girlfriend pregnant due to that idocracy. So my question is, is that legal, cause if not, I do know his name and am ready to take some serious legal action. Please, tell me what is the age limit for condom buying???
Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, there's no age minimum to purchase condoms, so there was no basis for him to refuse to sell them to you. I'd suggest composing a letter to the company detailing your complaint (and try to find out the employee's name to include in the letter). Also if your friend experienced the same thing, have him/her write a letter too. You might contact your local Planned Parenthood and see if they have or know of any consumer or political action groups that might be interested in your experience also.

quote:
I am appauled when i think of my friends, who encountered the same problem I have (though they are 17 and were told they had to be 18 to buy them) and then in turn got their girlfriend pregnant due to that idocracy.

I am a bit concerned by this statement however. As stupid and unfair as it was for someone to refuse to sell you and your friends condoms, that did not cause anyone to get pregnant. There are plenty of other sources for your friends to use to obtain condoms (such as other stores, online resources, or your local Planned Parenthood office, just to name a few). So don't make the mistake of trying to blame unplanned pregnancy on the inability to obtain a condom, the people involved who made the decision to go ahead and have sex without the condom are the ones who need to take responsibility for the outcome. Passing the blame doesn't do anyone any good.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.