Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Control?
stargoddess
Neophyte
Member # 7901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stargoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - I have so many questions and I thank you all for the responses and the time but yet again I have another question.

*~Birth Control~*

-I have hear some horror stories
-My mom even has mentioned in the past that it is not good for your body and I even recall reading something of that effect on this site somewhere. But my moms doctor told her that the pill was hurting her and she needed to stop taking it. She only took it for a year.

So if the pill is so bad for you, why is it so highly recommended?? I would think about taking it if I ever decided to be come sexually active but b/c of what I have heard I dunno if I would.
1. Why is it highly recommended?

Thank you again for the time, and also I am thankful for all the information I have aquired over the past 2 days from this site. I know alot and it makes me feel more informed for when I will need this information!

------------------
...:**:.StarGoddess.:**:...

Posts: 10 | From: CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill isn't always "bad for you". For some women, other health issues cause them to be unable to take the pill, or even make it dangerous for them. However, for most women, studies haven't shown any inherent danger in taking the pill. Some women even take the pill for health reasons rather than birth control. This is why it's so important to discuss it with your doctor, the pill may or may not be a good method of birth control for you and only your doctor (who has your full medical and family history and can actually examine you) can tell you that.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 04-22-2002).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The birth control pill now also isn't what it used to be, and yes it did cause problems in a lot of women way back when. However, with lower doses of the active hormones, and more research done, it's become a pretty good form of birth control. Pair that with condoms, an really, you couldn't get much better.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've personally used the pill for about 12 years, and have never had any problems with it - my periods are so much better than they used to be; significantly less bleeding and cramping.

An OB/GyN will be able to do a family risk assessent, and see if the pill is right for you.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.