Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » why is it..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why is it..
FrenchGrrl
Neophyte
Member # 4171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrenchGrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....why does is feel "better" when a condom isn't used? I don't get it, a condom is just a super-thin peice of plastic and isn't even slippery. so how come?? just curious what you all think!
Posts: 14 | From: Greenwood, Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's debatable in that 1) a lot of people find that it feels better WITH a condom, as it reduces friction which can cause chafing and 2) I'm not exactly put at ease when I know I'm doing something that can be really harmful to my health.

Anyway, we don't endorse unprotected sex here at Scarleteen, so you're not going to get a lot of responses toward your question, hon.

Check out this if you need some motivation.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"Years ago, I was an angry young man/I'd pretend that I was a billboard/Standing tall by the side of the road/I fell in love with the beautiful highway..."-Talking Heads, "(Nothing but) Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you want my opinion (note this is only my personal observation from discussing this with my peers (20-somethings)), I think that while some of it may be physical, alot of the "it feels better" is mental. Sex is a very intimate act that provides a very basic physical closeness to another person, and for some people, knowing that there is still a barrier between them and the other person is a really nagging idea. And if you obsess about that long enough then you're likely to percieve the condom as an obstacle to a more complete union or sharing. Yes, a condom is just a thin piece of latex with some extra lubrication, but for some people it becomes that obstacle, and they think so much about it (consciously or unconsciously) that they can become distracted and thus lessen their enjoyment...and of course no one wants to blame themselves for this, so it must be the fault of the condom.

I think that your mental view of the condom just has alot to do with it. I also think that the way we're socialized toward sexual practices has alot to do with having that incorrect mental view. The more we hear about how "it's like taking a shower in a rain coat", or "intercourse/sex as the ultimate sharing", the more the idea that is absolutely MUST feel better without the condom is perpetuated.

It's all about your outlook.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.