Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Medications and the pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Medications and the pill?
wrstlrb215
Neophyte
Member # 7167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrstlrb215     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, i was just wondering if medicines have an effect on the pill. My g/f is on OTC and has been since about january, but she is on all kinds of anti-depressents and mood altering medications and i have had a bunch of people tell me that they interfere with the effectiveness of the pill and i was just wondering if they were right or not?
Posts: 11 | From: Indianapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since OTC refers to medications available without a prescription, and not anything specific, and I don't know what your GF's on, I really couldn't tell you. She needs to ask her doctor. And since you're using condoms already, right? (when peace of mind from pregancy and disease risk can come in the form of an easily available, teeny bit of latex that's also darn cheap, why pass it up?), and the Pill's being used as a back-up form of contraception (I hope), it's not a horribly big deal anyway.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with the term "OTC," except in the usage of over-the-counter.

If your girlfriend is taking medications in addition to a method of hormonal birth control, she needs to check with her doctor as to possible interactions. None of us are doctors, and though there may indeed be some interactions, we can't just guess what they might be.

She needs to find out from her doc pronto.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"Years ago, I was an angry young man/I'd pretend that I was a billboard/Standing tall by the side of the road/I fell in love with the beautiful highway..."-Talking Heads, "(Nothing but) Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She could also ask her pharmacist -- they're trained to know and look out for possible drug interactions. so, if she's getting all her meds from the same place, have her call the pharmacy and ask, or call her doctor.

If she's not getting all her meds from the same place (for example, if she's getting her anti-depression meds at one pharmacy and her pills from a clinic) she needs to let both places know what other medications she's on. This is really important, because unless pharmacists and doctors know what other medications someone is on, they can't accurately predict and prescribe effective medications.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking that OTC means Ortho Tri Cyclen? In that case, it's birth control pills. Birth control pills have a possible side effect of depression. Whoever she's getting the bc pills from should know her history of depression. She could check with her doctor or the pharmacy about the drug interaction.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.