Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » did I do the right thing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: did I do the right thing?
ConfusedGirl1
Activist
Member # 7456

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ConfusedGirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know where to post this so forgive me in advance if this is not the apporpriate area.

I often give out advice on a website for teens. Usually its just little stuff, nothing major. Well today I repiled to a letter from a girl wanting to get the morning after pill.

Well I repiled and gave her the hotline number for it and advised her to get it. (and she says she is gonna) I just want to make sure, this pill doesn't cause abortions or anything? Right? I would feel terrible if I gave someone bad advice about this. This is the first major advice I have given so I am fairly new to this.

I would love your imput.

Thanks so much once again.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great that you're giving other teens advice! You can always check on these things at Scarleteen. You can read all of our articles, and then you'll know the answers to questions people ask

Emergency Contraception, also known as the Morning-After-Pill, does not cause an abortion. Before taking the pills, a pregnancy test is generally required. The Emergency Contraception pills only work if the woman is not already pregnant. They work by preventing conception from occuring.

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

[This message has been edited by PoetgirlNY (edited 04-07-2002).]

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, the reason they often do a pregnancy test before prescribing emergency contraception is to make sure that the woman is not already pregnant from sexual activity previous to that for which the emergency contraception is being sought.

Conception does not occur immediately, so a pregnancy test done less than 72 hours later would only come out positive if the woman was already pregnant prior to that sexual activity.

For more information on emergency contraception, please see this website: http://ec.princeton.edu/

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.