Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Belly button piercing question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belly button piercing question
Member # 6392

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Just.Lil.Ole.Me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading your more recent article on the website about body modification. About a little less than a month ago I got my belly button pierced. Ever since I got it done I've seemed to be getting sick very easily. There hasn't been one week that has past where I havent' been sick. My question is... can getting this done mess up my immune system, causing me to get sick more often? Or could it just be bc my bf and I are both sick and we keep giving a sickness back and forth? I ask this bc there was no info. about it in the article. Thanks for your help....

Posts: 54 | From: Tampa | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi there LOM!

To my knowledge, getting a piercing will not compromise your immune system in any meaningful way, as long as it does not become infected.

If it *is* infected, you could be more suceptable to illness merely because your immune system is overtaxed while fighting the infection.

In all honesty, i think it probably has more to do with the fact that spring is in the air, and the weather is on the fritz. There are lots of little influenza viruses floating around, and when the weather fluctuates, it seems that people get sick much more easily as the seasons change. However, if your symptoms persist, please go see a doctor. They can put your fears to rest...

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more little sidenote to all the good stuff Lisa said.

Once your piercing's healed, you may find that just BEFORE you get sick, it may act up, being sore and even lymphing a little bit. Sort of an early warning system. But you navel piercing probably won't be completely healed for several months, so just baby it and - yeah, it's spring and flu is in the air. ;]

~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"Years ago, I was an angry young man/I'd pretend that I was a billboard/Standing tall by the side of the road/I fell in love with the beautiful highway..."-Talking Heads, "(Nothing but) Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.