Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Miscarriage Question........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miscarriage Question........
Just.Lil.Ole.Me
Activist
Member # 6392

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Just.Lil.Ole.Me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this probably sounds really ignorant for an 18 year old, but I was just wondering what types of symptoms someone having a miscarriage goes through. Lately I've heard that some miscarriages are not as threatening as others and for some, you may not even need to go to the hospital. Would any of these be included symptoms:

shivering?
migraines/headaches?
nausea/vomiting?
fever?
A very dark red period?

Thank you for your help...

----------------
Just.Lil.Ole.Me

Posts: 54 | From: Tampa | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Moving to Ask an Advocate*
Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are pregnant, and suspect you may be experiencing a miscarriage, you must seek medical attention. You should not attempt to self-diagnose a miscarriage.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you would like to know what some signs of miscarriage are so that you can know when to go to the doctor or hospital like kythryne suggested, here is a partial list:

quote:
Bleeding (with or without pain). Bleeding is the symptom most commonly experienced. Bleeding may be: Mild Spotting, Persistent Bleeding, Heavy Bleeding, or Passage of Large Clots There are plenty of women who have bleeding during early pregnancy who do not end up having a miscarriage. Other warning signs may be: Cramps (menstrual-like), Aching of the Lower Back,and Passage of Tissue

from Signs of Miscarriage

The U of Michigan site also lists fevers and recurring headaches as possible signs. Both sites also explain why it is necessary to visit the hospital if you think you are having or have experienced a miscarriage -- a partial miscarriage will require medical procedures.

Erin

[This message has been edited by ErinK (edited 03-16-2002).]

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.