Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Abortion question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortion question.
SilverBabe
Neophyte
Member # 6983

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SilverBabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin just found out she is pregnant about a month ago. She was considering getting an abortion, but after great ammounts of research, she found from many different sources that abortion is actually quite dangerous. Especially in the way that it can, and does for many woman, make you unable to have children in the future because it can damage different organs.
I never have heard this from my sex-ed teacher but thought that maybe they don't teach this fact because they don't want to dicourage teenagers to get an abortion when it is the best way to handle the situation. (Which is very understandable.)
My question is, Is this true? Are abortions, in fact, somewhat dangerous?
I want my cousin to be able to do what is best for her, and I can understand her worries. I mean, she wants to be able to have kids some day, just not when she is 15!
I am not sure who to ask, but I greatly trust the advice of the members of this web site. I was hoping you could help me. I know you'll give me an honest answer.

------------------
In life, there are choices to make every where you go. Do your best to follow your heart and listen to the advice of people you love and trust.

[This message has been edited by SilverBabe (edited 02-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by SilverBabe (edited 02-22-2002).]

Posts: 25 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, abortion is a surgical procedure, and so yes, it is risky, but then, so are a lot of other things.

I'm going to guess that your friend encountered some anti-abortion websites, which often use scare tactics to try to convince people not to have an abortion. While it's very true that abortions used to be dangerous, particularly when they were illegal, it's now a fairly straightforward and simple proceedure, and I believe the risks of side effects are quite small if the abortion is performed by a qualified medical professional.
Here's a link to some information at Planned Parenthood: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ABORTION/Default.htm

And here's an article written by a 16-year-old woman who had an abortion: http://www.scarleteen.com/crisis/granny.html

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, childbirth is the cause of more deaths and complications than medical abortion. So, in terms of any of the choices one has to make when pregnant, all of them involve health risks, so basing a decision on that isn't very sensible.

Instead, I'd suggest your cousion think about what she wants: does she want to raise a baby or not? Is adoption a consideration? What feels best for her EMOTIONALLY?

It should be noted that teenage parenting is not impossible if that is what she wants to do -- many teen mothers do just fine, likely as fine as most adult mothers, though they have their own unique challenges.

But the desire to parent is the big issue, and usually parents -- regardless of their age -- that weather all of the challenges best are simply the ones who very much want to parent actively. If she just doesn't have that desire, and just does not WANT to care for a child, adoption or abortion may be the best choices for her and/or her potential child.
------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 02-23-2002).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.