Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Continued pain and bleeding after first intercourse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Continued pain and bleeding after first intercourse
Wolfychan
Neophyte
Member # 7086

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Wolfychan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 16 years old. 2 days ago I lost my virginity. We used a condom and spermicide, so I'm not worried about pregnancy, and my boyfriend was a virgin also so I don't think there's much disease risk. My boyfriend was very careful and gentle, but it still hurt and bled a lot, both during sex and afterwards. Now, more than 48 hours later, I'm still very sore and (more worrisome) still bleeding. It's not my period, it's the wrong time of month and I'm fairly regular. Am I injured in some way or is this normal? Do I need to see a doctor?

P.S. I'm a fairly small girl and my boyfriend has a somewhat large penis--could this be why it hurt so much?

[This message has been edited by Wolfychan (edited 02-22-2002).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sex can take a lot of getting used to. you might bleed the first few tries. this is why it's important to use extra lubrication like Astroglide (my personal favorite) or KY liquid etc. you probably experienced a little tissue tearing -- hence the blood and soreness. it's not uncommon, and it heals up right quick (if you leave it alone for a few days).

as for the spermicide, that can be a risk. it's been shown that nonoxynol-9 can cause microtearing in the walls of the vagina. this can create sites for infection, should your partner happen to be carrying anything. moreover, a lot of people are allergic to it.

so, in short, wear a panty liner if you're still bleeding, and give yourself a few days to recover. if you are still bleeding after 4 or 5 days, definitely go see your doctor and have him or her check to see if there's anything wrong with your reproductive tract.

even if you're not bleeding, you suld make it a habit to regularly get a pelvic exam anyway. maintaining your health is a major part of being responsible when you're sexually active.

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.