Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » my parents are over reacting!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my parents are over reacting!!
Megariah
Neophyte
Member # 6936

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Megariah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my parents are over reacting!! Ok, I'm 18 now and when I was 17, I had sex for the first time with the boyfriend I'm with now. We use a condom everytime. My parents keep putting their noses into our business. They say things like are you guys still having sex? and you're going to ruin your life (because they're afraid I'll get pregnant). My boyfriend and I are very frustrated and think that it's our business what we do on our own time. how can we get them to back off??
ps. they even threatened to kick me out of the house if I went on an overnight trip with my boyfriend.
thanx

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably aren't going to like this reply, but it sounds to me like your parents are just very concerned for you. And if you've only been using condoms for birth control, then they have a bit of a point for worrying that you'll become pregnant. Don't get me wrong -- condoms are wonderful, they're a very good way to avoid STD and STI transmission -- but it's best to combine them with another form of contraception, such as birth control pills. You might also consider going with your boyfriend to get STD tests for the both of you.

Then I'd suggest letting your parents know that you are practising safer sex, that you're being responsible for your health, and that you're aware of the risks involved. If you're not comfortable talking with them, maybe you could write them a letter and give it to them to read, and ask them to reply in a letter of their own if they have questions or concerns about what you've said.

Here are some articles that might be helpful:

Safe, Sound & Sexy ? A Safer Sex How-To
Margaret Sangers Disneyland - An easy chart of your birth control options
Sexual Negotiation for the Long Haul
Testing, Testing?

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 02-10-2002).]

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.