Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pregnancy tests and miscarriages

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy tests and miscarriages
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 5 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question
assuming you had a miscarriage.
and you mistook it for your period (is this even possible?)
whether you miscarried fully or not, would a pregnancy test show up positive or negative?
so, lets say you took the test a few days after your "period" was over, what would the test result be?

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you believe that you have had a miscarriage, you NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. Do not pass go, do not collect the monopoly money, go to the doctor.

Only a doctor can determine if you did, in fact, have a miscarriage, and if, so, whether or not you need additional medical procedures to help deal with the results of said miscarriage.

A doctor can also talk to you about your options for birth control and STD prevention.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in addition to what erin said, sweetie, i just want to say that a lot of your posts recently have been about pregnancy scares that aren't really rational. if you're that worried about getting pregnant that slight, common changes in your period make you think you've had a miscarriage and you don't believe pregnancy tests, then maybe you should look at your readiness to have sex in the first place.

this is not to say that those things are out of the question, it just seems to me that from what you describe, they are rather remote possibilities.

i just think you shouldn't be that worried. i mean, an unwanted pregnancy isn't something anyone looks forward to dealing with, but it's not really the worst possible consequence of having sex (i would say that the deadly, incurable STD's are more in that category), and it would not be the end of the world. if you think it would be, then you need to think about your readiness level. you should also consider trying different forms of birth control, in addition to condoms.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.