Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » First time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time
rob_4325
Neophyte
Member # 5495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rob_4325     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I know you must get this question asked an awful lot of times, but I need help with it!
Today my girfriend and I tried to have sex, but I could not enter her without it hurting her. We took all the necessary precautions, I wore a condom and she is also on the pill.
We are considering using KY jelly next time, but what else is there that we can do?
She did say she wasn`t feeling totally relaxed and that next time it would be better if we did even more foreplay first, but other than that is there anything else we can do? I don`t want to hurt her and I`m a bit scared that shes been put off it although she says she hasn`t.

Also, we did use a condom and she is on the pill (because her periods are quite bad), but I did put my fingers into her also and I`m pretty sure there was absolutly no pre-sperm on them. How likely do you think the chances are that she may have become pregnant by that?
She says that there are varying degrees of how strong the pill is. Is this true? Are some pills stronger than others?

Thanks for all your time!

Posts: 11 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It honestly looks like you're doing all you can do make this a good experience for both of you ... There's not a lot else you can do.

There are different pills w/ different effectiveness for each ... Is she on any other medications? Taking St Johns Wart? Things like these can decrease the effectiveness of the birth control pill, but since you're using condoms as well, like you should be, you really have nothing to worry about.

Using KY Jelly or Astroglide is also an excellent idea ... For her sake and your own. Not only will it make penetration easier, but will prevent the condom from breaking. Sounds good, right?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a footnote to what Smurf has posted:

Have you checked out our helpful article Intercourse 101 yet?
It's full of advice on how to make intercourse work the first few times.

In regards to the birth control pill, aisde of the different pill types (combination pills and progestin only pills), there are lots of different formulations for each kind, and some work better for some than others.
In general, the reliability of the different combination pills, which most young women are on, is pretty similar, so there is no "higher dosage=higher protection" equation.
With typical use, the failure rate of the pill is 5%, that means within one year of use, 5 of 100 women using that method will get pregnant.

If your partner is using the pill consistently, isn't taking any herbal remedies that might interfere with it (like the St.John's Wort Smurf mentioned) and hasn't been suffering from bouts of diarrhea or vomiting, and you keep using the condoms, your pregnancy risk would be low. No method pf birth control is completely reliable, but the pill&condom combo is as good as it gets with reversible birth control.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.