Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The pill and condom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The pill and condom
rob_4325
Neophyte
Member # 5495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rob_4325     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
My girlfriend and I are planning to have sex for the first time on Saturday, but I am stumped on a few questions. The other day my friend was telling me how when he was having sex, his condom split. I don`t want the same thing to happen to me. He was telling me that the condom he wore was so tight, and I know what he means. I have practised putting a condom on, and it doesn`t become any easier. I struggle to get it over my penis as it is so tight. I was using Durex Extra Safe ones too! I`m scared that the condom will break even though my girlfriend is on the pill. What should I do? Its too late and too expensive to keep buying condoms to see which ones fit especially over here in the UK. What should I do?!

Posts: 11 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, buying and trying is pretty much what ya gotta do. I know some couples who have spent months trying different kinds of condoms in order to find one that they like. Try buying the boxes that contain just a few condoms so that you don't get stuck with a bunch of extras that you don't like. Or, if you have a condom shop near you, perhaps you can buy them individually.

Beyond that, using extra lubricant (water-based, condom-safe) will help keep the condom from breaking. Just a couple of drops inside the condom before you put it on, and then lots of extra lube on the outside, and on your partner should help.

Check out: Condom Basics

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a side note, sex should never, ever be4 under a stressful deadline. That just isn't a healthy approach, and it isn't siomething that needs be on a deadline in the first place.

Condoms cannot be loose, otherwise they would be ineffective, but splitting or breaking is most often due to a condom becoming dry due to a lack of lubricant, or improper use, so do check out that link Kitten gave you.

And take some time to breathe: if sex ever feels rushed or stressful, it isn't right, honey, and beyonbd not being the right time, it very rarely is enjoyable for both parties when it does feel like that, physically or emotionally.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.