Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » uti's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: uti's?
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay basically, i have two questions
1) is a UTI the same thing as a bladder infection?
2) what are the symptoms of a uti (i KNOW ive seen this somewhere on the site before but i searched and i cant find it)
and should i see a gyn or a GP?
i think i can convince my mom that its just a UTI and nothing to do with sex and maybe then i can start seeing a gyn (without her) and then that problem is taken care of :))
thanks much :)

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A UTI, or urinary tract infection, is the same thing as a bladder infection. We don't seem to have an article about it on the site, but I searched and found this artilce on WebMD for you: http://my.webmd.com/content/dmk/dmk_article_40086

quote:
Symptoms of cystitis, which usually begin suddenly, include the urge to urinate frequently, a painful burning sensation, discomfort or pressure in the lower abdomen, and cramping in the pelvic area or back. The urge to urinate may recur immediately after the bladder is emptied. The urine often has a strong smell, looks cloudy, or contains blood. The abdomen can feel bloated Occasionally, fever develops. If the only symptom is a burning sensation, then the infection is
most likely urethritis.

You can see either a GP or a gyn to get a urinary tract infection diagnosed and treated. However, since symptoms of a UTI can also be a symptom of vaginitis or an STD, it's important that you see a doctor who can check out all of your symptoms and make sure that you're okay, so make sure it's someone that you're comfortable talking to and disclosing your personal history to.

That WebMD article covers causes, symptoms, and treatments pretty thoroughly, so give it a read and come back with any questions.

Please do make sure that you take the best possible care of yourself!

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.