Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » What age difference is too big?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What age difference is too big?
Tkdchick04
Neophyte
Member # 5299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tkdchick04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i just need some adivce on my Boyfriend, he is 19 and i'm 15. If you were to of asked me a few months ago if I would ever go out with a 19 year old I would have said, I DON'T THINK SO! But when I meet this guy I like fell in love with him, as he did with me! I just wanted to know what you think about this age difference and what I should do, also when I see "Age of concent in Colorado" it says 15/17 and I don't understand what that means, so if you could also please explain that! Last question, A"ge of consent" - does that have to do with sexual intercourse, or does that also involve kissing, and oral, etc. Thanks!!
KC

Posts: 1 | From: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Age of Consent" refers to the age at which a person is considered mature enough to consent to sexual activity. Depending on how your state legall defines "sexual activity," this almost certainly includes intercourse, anal sex, and oral sex, and may include various types of sexual touching or even heavy kissing.

Take a look at www.ageofconsent.com . The way I read the Colorado law (and I would add that I am NOT an attorney), age of consent is 15 if the older person is less than 10 years older than the younger person. The age of consent is 17 for persons more than 10 years older than the youngest participant. So you could legally consent to sexual activity with your boyfriend, because he is only 4 years older than you are.

I would suggest that you not rush things, though. 4 years is a big gap when you're a teenager, even if you do have a lot in common and feel strongly about one another. Take a look at some of the articles on this site that discuss relationships and sexual readiness. Maybe you could even read them with your boyfriend...you might both learn a lot!

Good luck in your new relationship.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.